Frequently Asked Questions

Does the town accept credit cards?

No, cash or check only.

How can I get a handicapped parking permit?

You are eligible for license plates or a parking permit for the disabled if you are a New York State Resident who has one or more severe disabilities that impair your mobility. See Part 2 of MV-664.1 for a description of qualifying disabilities.

If you are applying for the parking permit:

  1. 1. Note: Do not send your application to the DMV. They do not issue parking permits.
  2. 2. A permit may be issued for either a permanent or temporary disability.
  3. 3. You do not have to be a driver, or a registered owner of a vehicle, to get a permit.
    Children who have a qualifying disability are eligible for permits at any age, as are persons who are legally blind.
    Permits are issued in the name of the person with the disability.
  4. 4. Handicapped parking application and rules and regulations are available here. Fill out Part 1 of the application. Have your physician complete Part 2 of the application and return it to you. Application can be signed by a physician only.
  5. 5. Take your completed application and ID to the Bolivar Town Clerk. Please note: the applicant must be a resident of New York State and a resident of the town.

How can I obtain a marriage license and what documents do I need?

Licenses may be obtained from the Town Clerk and the fee is $40.00 There is a twenty-four hour waiting period once the license is issued and the license is good for sixty days. The couple may get married anywhere in New York State once they receive their license. The couple must apply together and must provide the following:

* Photo ID and birth certificate
* Any and all filed divorce decrees

How do I get a license for my dog?

Your dog needs to get a license at four (4) months of age. Licenses are issued at the Town Clerk's office in the Town Hall. Bring along the dog's current rabies certificate and neuter/spay certificate. The fee schedule is as follows:

Town of Bolivar Dog License Fee (three dogs or less)
Neutered/Spayed Unneutered/Unspayed
Local Fee $7.00 Local Fee $13.00
State Fee $1.00 State Fee $3.00
Total: $8.00 Per Dog Total: $16.00 Per Dog

Town of Bolivar Dog License Fee (more than three dogs)
Neutered/Spayed Unneutered/Unspayed
4 to 10 dogs: Local Fee:$50.00. Each dog over 10 is an additional $5.00 per dog 4 to 10 dogs: Local Fee:$50.00. Each dog over 10 is an additional $5.00 per dog
State Fee 1.00 per dog State Fee 3.00 per dog

For new information about dog licensing in New York State click   here

How do I get a hunting or fishing license?

You can get a hunting or fishing license from the Town Clerk.
Or you may apply online at:


Is the STAR exemption still available?

Yes. Both the STAR and Enhanced STAR are still available. However, the NYS "Middle-Class STAR" rebate program was discontinued by New York State.

The snow plow hit my mailbox!

Contact the Superintendent of Highways for information..........

I would like to sue someone in Small Claims Court. How do I do this?

You must go to the Court where the person you wish to bring an action against either:

  • lives in the municipality
  • has a place of business
  • works in the jurisdiction of that court

Is there a Notary Public at the Town Hall?

Yes, Debbie Wight and Amanda Gilliland are both Notaries Public.


  • Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
  • 9:00am to 4:00pm

  • Wednesday
  • 9:00am to 12:00 noon

There is a dog running loose in my neighborhood. Who should I contact?

Scott Fuller is the acting Dog Control Officer. He can be reached at 585 808-0031.